Thad Barkdull, Doctor
Thad Barkdull, Doctor
Thad Barkdull was born in Ohio and raised in Virginia. After graduating from BYU in 1996, he went to medical school at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, the U.S.’s military medical school (class of 2000). He completed Family Medicine Residency in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, in 2003, and then served multiple assignments in the U.S. Army in Utah, Virginia and Hawaii, as well as two tours to Iraq with the 4th and 2nd Infantry Divisions. Dr. Barkdull also completed a fellowship in Sports Medicine in 2007, and then trained Family Medicine, Pediatric, Transitional, Internal Medicine residents and medical students in sports medicine at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii for the past four years.
Dr. Barkdull has been able to hone his skills in sports medicine as an assistant team physician for the Georgetown University Hoyas Athletics Department, and Madison, Virginia High School Athletics Department, as well as providing medical consultation and "sideline" support for the Hawaii State Football Championships, the Kona Ironman World Championships, USA Boxing, Mixed Martial Arts tournaments, and the X-terra Cross Country World Championships, as well as humanitarian service in Bangladesh after Cyclone Sidr in 2007, and in Nepal.
Dr. Barkdull is happy to provide some new, unique services to the Tri City Family, including:
1. Acupuncture (typically fee for service, check with your insurance provider to see if they provide any coverage)--musculoskeletal injuries, digestive disorders, pain disorders, smoking cessation and more!
2. Exercise Treadmill Testing (assess functional capacity, risk of heart disease, and determine rehabilitation progress after cardiac stenting or bypass surgery)
3. Prolotherapy (treatments using your own body's healing factors to accelerate the repair of injured ligaments and tendons--also fee for service, not typically covered by insurance)
4. Guidance and counseling on exercise programs
5. Assessment of sports-specific injuries and medical concerns, including disordered eating, safe exercise with chronic health problems (ie. asthma, diabetes), overtraining syndrome, and many more (see http://www.amssm.org/BrochureImages/WhatisaSportsMe-1.pdf to learn more about what a sports medicine specialist does)
6. Musculoskeletal Ultrasound. Dr. Barkdull has extensive training in utilizing ultrasound to diagnosis many musculoskeletal injuries, as well as using ultrasound to ensure appropriate placement of injections in musculoskeletal conditions like arthritis and overuse injuries).
While Dr. Barkdull is excited to bring his sports medicine skills to Utah Valley, he also loves to practice all aspects of Family Medicine, including obstetrics. Please call now if you would like to learn more about how he can help you get and stay healthy.
He, his wife and four daughters live in Pleasant Grove.
To make an appointment with Dr. Barkdull, you can call his receptionist directly at 801-443-1138.
830 North 2000 West
Pleasant Grove, Utah 84062
Accepting new patients:I am accepting new patients.